Monday, November 06, 2006

Public Art at the LA County Zoo

I visited the LA Zoo on Halloween weekend. This may be considered unfortunate because it was a Boo at the Zoo day, so there were hoards of people there. Luckily it was fun to see so many kids wearing Halloween costumes.

I was surprised to find a nice selection of public art throughout the zoo. Many of the structures that house the animals can be considered works of art, but I am referring to actual sculptures located throughout the zoo grounds.
The first think I noticed was an amazing fence made of sculptural animal silhouettes.

I liked the recycled glass that had been pressed into the concrete of the entryway.
Just inside the park there is a great curving rusty wall with animal cutouts.

I also enjoyed the mosaic cow and fantastical sink just outside the petting zoo.

No comments: