Sunday, February 18, 2007

Fascinating table on display at Scripps

I made it over to the Ruth Chandler Williamson Gallery at Scripps College for their 63d Ceramic Annual exhibition over in Claremont. The show was guest curated by Tony Hepburn who is the Head of Ceramics at Cranbrook Academy of Art in Bloomfield Hills, MI.

Many have been critical of the exhibition by saying they felt like they were in an Ikea showroom. At first glance it may be easy agree with this comment, but any second thought would prove this notion wrong. I believe the curator and exhibition designer may have been able to help extinguish these ideas by removing duplicate items and refraining from displaying objects in a symmetrical fashion.

One thing I was very intrigued by was this table that was used for the display. I am always attracted to stylish designs that use inexpensive, everyday materials. The table was constructed from 2” thick plywood. The two white legs were galvanized pipe screwed into bases that were screwed into the table. I like it so much, I may have to make one for myself.

No comments: